Nepal: Women Empowerment
Group Volunteer Program
Want to spend part of your Nepal trip giving back to the local community?
You will stay with a host family and contribute 2 weeks to teach local women life skills,human rights, English, leadership skills, communications skills, etc.
We live in a world in which women living in poverty face gross inequalities and injustice from birth to death. From poor education to poor nutrition to vulnerable and low pay employment, the sequence of discrimination that a woman may suffer during her entire life is unacceptable but all too common. In developing countries such as Nepal, it's even worse. According to the United Nations, Nepal is the second poorest country in Asia based on GDP per capita. Nepalese women have little or no education, no land rights or independent income. They are voiceless and they need help. Travel Her Way is honored to work with Volunteers Initial Nepal (VIN) to help our sisters through the Women Empowerment Volunteer Program. Let's do something great together!
From Women To Women, Heart To Heart.
*Please read this page carefully before apply.
*Photo credit: Jodi W.
About the Project
The Women Empowerment Volunteer Program is a 2-week add-on activity to our 15-day Everest Base Camp Trek. You will be working on the following project.
Women Empowerment: Education, Rights and Life skills
This project is aimed to provide women with fundamental training and education to nurture their self confidence and empower girls and young women living in poverty. As a volunteer, your will contribute your time and talent teaching women necessary skill sets.
- Provide training on different topics: life skills, women's human rights, health, leadership skills, English, communication skills, etc.
- Organize group discussions and activities that teach different skill sets
- Provide other supports based on your skill sets and the needs of local community
- Location: Kavresthali, Nepal (*Kavresthali is a village in Kathmandu District lies about 9 km from the city.)
- Length: 2 weeks
- Project Dates (*Please note that there may be one or two days gap between the EBC trek and the volunteer program. We would love to arrange the hotel accommodations for you upon request.):
- 05/15/2018 - 05/28/2018
- 09/15/2018 - 09/28/2018
- 04/15/2019 - 04/28/2019
What is the application process?
- Applicant fills out the application form. Travel Her Way will send the application to VIN for review.
- Applicant awaits confirmation email.
- Applicant reviews the program details after receiving the confirmation email.
- Applicant pays nonrefundable booking fee (EUR 100) directly to VIN through bank transfer or PayPal. Please make sure you have reviewed the program details before making the payment.
- Applicant receives payment receipt and pre-departure documents.
- Applicant pays program fee (EUR 380) directly to VIN by bank transfer, PayPal or cash upon arrival.
Do you need to pay for volunteering?
Short answer: Yes.
Here is why...
In order to provide you with necessary support and resources, our local NGO partner(VIN) requires booking fee and program fee. The fees will be used to cover your foods, accommodations, transportations, orientation, a half-day city sightseeing tour, etc. You will also receive information on health, culture, and basic training on Nepali language. There is also a full-time staff who will provide 24-hour support during your stay. Any proceeds will directly be reinvested in local charity projects.
Travel Her Way DO NOT charge any fees to the Women Empowerment Group Volunteer Program. We coordinate and manage the program at our own cost. You will pay all the required fees directly to VIN.
What are the fees for the program?
To participate in the Women Empowerment Group Volunteer Program, you need to pay booking fee and program fee which are required by our local NGO partner (VIN).
- Booking Fee: EUR 100 (*equivalent to USD 122.45 as of 2/9/2018)
Booking fee is a non-refundable fee which covers processing your application and pre-departure support. Booking fee is not deductible from program fees. Applicants make payments directly to VIN by bank transfer or PayPal.
- Program Fee: EUR 380 (*equivalent to USD 465 as of 2/9/2018)
Applicants make payments directly to VIN by bank transfer, PayPal or cash upon arrival. If you pay cash, VIN accept Euros, US dollars, and Nepalese Rupee. (*We recommend to pay cash as PayPal charges 5.5% payment fee.)
Program fee includes:
- Transportation from airport or hotel to VIN office
- Transportation from hotel to VIN office
- Transportation from hotel to project site on the first day
- Transportation from project site to VIN office or hotel on the last day of the program
- Program Orientation (Pre job training)
- Presentation on VIN history, development, strategies, success stories
- Basic Nepali language training: 2 hours/day during the orientation
- Presentation on Nepali history, culture, politics, economy, social problems
- Presentation on health and safety tips
- Basic job training
- A half-day sightseeing tour of Kathmandu or enjoy some free time (*Please note that our EBC trek includes a full-day city sightseeing tour.)
- Travel planning assistance
- Food & Accommodation
- Program orientation: Stay at a budget hotel on same gender sharing basis; lunch will be offered at VIN’s office (Breakfast and dinner are not included)
- After orientation, live with a host family near the project site; 3 meals will be provided everyday
- Administrative Cost
- VIN staff salaries
- Office rent and office supplies
- 24/7 emergency support
- Wifi at the VIN office
- Communications cost, including internet, phone, and letters
- Local taxes
- Contributions to Local Community Projects
- Women empowerment: more than 65 women’s clubs, income generation projects, education & life skills
- Children’s development: more than 20 young children development centers, 19 children’s clubs, 5 orphanage homes, hundreds of children’s education, teachers' trainings, school constructions and facilities.
- Community health: free medical check-up to more than 3000 people by professional doctors. Lab, medicine, mobile clinics, school health for poor families
- Youth empowerment: 11 youth clubs
Program fee excludes:
- Breakfast and dinner during program orientation ($6 per day will be enough)
- Airport drop-off - VIN staff can help if you need any assistance
- Transportation during weekend travel
- Entrance fees to visit cultural heritage sites in Kathmandu
- Personal cost: laundry, internet, telephone, bottle water, drinks, etc.
- Travel insurances and medical expenses
How do I make payment to VIN?
- Bank Transfer
Account Name: Volunteers Initiative Nepal (VIN)
SWIFT CODE: SIDDNPKA
Account Number: 0191 5122134
Bank Name: Siddhartha Bank
Ward No 15, Swoyambhu, HallChowk,
TEL: 01-4033606 / 4033607
Account Name: Volunteers Initiative Nepal (VIN)
SWIFT CODE: EVBLNPKA
Account Number: 02000501209578
Bank Name: Everest Bank Limited
Balaju, Kathmandu, Nepal
Click here to make payment to VIN through PayPal
- If you make a bank transfer payment, you are required to cover the bank transfer fees.
- If you pay by PayPal, you need to pay a 5.5% payment processing fee.
- Once you start the program, if you wish to discontinue for any reasons, the program fee is not refundable.
What Qualifications Do You Need To Be A Volunteer?
You don't need to have prior volunteer experiences to volunteer. As long as you want to help, you are welcome to join. You will also receive training about the program and job responsibilities during the 3-day program orientation.
Contact us if you have any questions. We are always here to help!